Friday, January 15, 2010

Looking Back: Deep Fried Mars Bar? Mmm, Yes Please!


I'm not the sort of person who likes trying new things. Don't get me wrong, I'm open minded and I will try most things at least once but more often than not I end up not liking it. Food in particular. I like my food plain and simple, a fact which my husband of two years still has trouble getting used to. He cannot understand for the life of him how anyone can eat a cheese sandwich without any chutney or how one person can eat pasta without the sauce. I can because quite simply I don't care for accompaniments. And yes, I am the sort of person who NEVER uses salt and pepper after the food has been served.

Now there is one thing that I have never tried and absolutely refuse to, and that's olives. If I thought long and hard about it, I'm sure I could come up with other food stuffs that I would not be willing to eat, but for the time being, we'll just stick to olives.

My husband loves olives. The only thing I like about them is the feta cheese that sometimes accompanies them! Olives, as far as I'm concerned, should never have been invented by God or science or whatever else you believe about how the world started. They look horrible, they smell horrible and the mere thought of eating one actually makes me want to gag.

So, basically, I am not particularly keen on trying new things. And yet oddly enough, when I heard about the deep fried Mars Bars that had suddenly taken hold, I actually found myself wanting to try one. Shock horror. My husband thought I'd gone mad but whenever we went near a chippy I'd always check to see if they did deep fried Mars Bars. Unfortunately I didn't have much luck and although I didn't forget about the deep fried Mars Bars the chances of actually trying one were looking slim.

And then last year, we were on holiday in Yorkshire with my husband's family. We'd planned a day out to Whitby which of course included fish n chips for lunch. Let's face it, there's no way you can go to Whitby and not try the fish. And chips. We'd all gone our separate ways and my husband and I found a decent looking takeaway serving fish n chips.

So were standing in the queue. I happened to glance at the board and lo and behold there were those four words which I'd never thought I'd find:

DEEP FRIED MARS BAR


I excitedly poked my husband in the ribs who looked up at the board, then at my face before saying, "I take it you want one, then?"
Well, duh! My dream had come true! A deep fried Mars Bar at last!

Obviously, after we had found some seating, the Mars Bar was the first thing I unwrapped before staring at it apprehensively for a few moments. I'd waited such a long time for this. What if it was really horrible?

Staying open minded is the key and besides, my husband was really eager to try it too. So we had some each, and, oh boy, it is one of the yummiest things I have ever tasted. My husband felt the same and it was all we could do not to go and get another one! Trust me, it was worth the wait!

Everyone thought we'd lost the plot completely, raving about how good this deep fried Mars Bar was, but more importantly I had finally tried it.
And the point I'm making? You should be prepared to try everything at least once because you might be pleasantly surprised. Except olives. They definitely do not count.

No comments:

Post a Comment